Coworking spaces are becoming the new future of the urban centres across the UK. Cash strapped startups flock into them to work on their new idea. In order to clarify things in my brain, more than anything else, I thought I should write down the advantages and the disadvantages of co-working spaces.
Archive for month: July, 2014
Leicester Lean Startups
Startdom Accelerator is organising a weekend event for startups in Leicester from Friday 19th at 18:00 until Sunday 21st September at 18:00. The weekend is part of our long term strategic plan to help high-flying startups in the Midlands. We have a combined experience of half a century in entrepreneurship and setting up new businesses, while we are investing heavily in new and exciting ventures. We provide the teaching (and the tools) to drive your idea forward and conquer your intended market.
Starting a business can be a daunting journey and at times may feel like you’re doing it all by yourself. There’s so much support, advice and tools out there for you to tap into. Whether you get involved in the local support available in Leicester whilst studying at De Montfort University or read useful blog posts on the start-up websites – you are not alone.
This is the first post of our Startdoms blog! We would like to welcome the members of our community who have been helping and encouraging us for the past year. We would also like to commit ourselves to the prosperity of our startups, investors and mentors alike! Let us know what you need and we will be very happy to help.
Working in Silicon Valley
Entrepreneur David Chan will describe living and working in the world’s original and most famous startup community. He will tell us what makes the valley so special and what other cities can learn from it.
Originally from London, David spent six years in Silicon Valley and has now moved to Leicester to work on a new peer-to-peer database startup that could revolutionise how we store private files and data securely.
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (BST)
Cafe Bar, Phoenix Film & Digital Media Centre
4 Midland Street
What We Learnt
- Nearly two thirds of respondents are eitehr activive with a startup or considering it
- Overall, people are enjoying the various events that exist within the community
- Midweek days (Tues, Weds & Thurs) were moderately prefereable for events with a mind preference for mornings and evenings over afternoons. There is a potential self-selection issue given the historic prevalence of Wednesday mornings.
- Individuals expressed a clear preference for attending events on a monthly frequency. This was 50% overall and 75% for active startup people.
- Clear preference for networking events, seminars, talks & lectures across all segments
- Regarding event subject matter, groups expressed preference for tech experts plus new or accomplished startup entrepreneurs. Additionally, active startup people also liked business model and marketing experts.
- Event timings and locations where the main barriers to peoples’ attendence across all segments
- Likelihood of getting involved with a startup was nearly 50% across all groups (even split between definite and quite likely). For active startup people this goes up to 75% (50% definite, 25% quite likely)
- Three key needs identified that would make people more likely to startup: Finding a suitable idea, Finding the time, Finding suitable business partners
- 56% of respondents said they were more likely to startup as a result of attending community events.
Leicester Lean Startups – Tuesday, July 29 at 6:30 PM at Incubate Leicester
Robert Ashby will speak from the personal experience of many startups to show where growth ideas come from and what are the best ways to generate ideas that will have traction in their markets.
We open the co-working space for free to the public, following the Jelly guidelines. You will be able to work for the entire day in an allocated desk, use free wifi and drink free coffee and tea. Our aim is to bring home workers, freelancers, small business owners and entrepreneurs together in a relaxed, informal, working environment to maximise creativity and minimise the isolation that being your own boss can bring! Let us know in advance that you are coming, so that we reserve your space.
Over the years I have heard of many reasons to build a startup. Others are emotional, others are logical and others are both. They all come down to one element, though: Freedom. Entrepreneurs have the constant search of freedom in common.